Google+

Cheerful carrots

It started with a bunch of carrots – carrot tops to be precise. My brother had some from his garden, and he offered them as ingredients for my dye experiments.

carrots!

I mordanted some Bluefaced Leicester fibre with alum, and at the same time, cooked the carrot tops in hot water for about 45 minutes.

DSC_0216

I used about the same weight (50g) of fibre to carrot tops. The result was this lively yellow. I took these photos in daylight outdoors (on a piece of white crochet by one of my great-grandmothers) but they did fail to capture a very slight greenish cast to the colour – I’d say it was definitely a citrus shade.

DSC_0217

I dyed it inside a mesh laundry bag with the minimum of agitation and the fibres haven’t felted. All ready to spin!

About helen

Trackbacks

  1. […] to right: Second dip in onion/iron/carrot; first dip; pure carrot on alum from the other […]

  2. […] bright yellow along with the carrot-top dyed fibre. I’ve harvested woad from my own garden, carrots from my brother’s and fennel from my parents’. Whatever I make from the resulting yarn […]

Leave a Comment

*